Snow and Ice Season: AVL Saves Money and Material Usage
Cities, Counties and States spend millions every year on snow and ice removal from roadways. Save money, lower de-icer material/chemical usage, and be responsive to your citizens through AVL implementation on your snow plow fleet.
- The investment in snowplows is huge – AVL helps to ensure that every snow plow is being used to peak efficiency with better route planning, driver training and geofencing.
- Municipalities have learned through CompassCom AVL measurement reports that it is much less expensive in the long run to clear off roads before they become snow packed. Analytics from CompassReports can justify the short-term expense of hiring contract drivers early in a snowstorm, to keep the roads clear before snow pack occurs.
- Portable AVL kits from CompassCom even lets you monitor contract snowplow drivers who are not part of the full-time fleet. Manage and monitor routes, speed, materials usage, and regulate geo-fencing – all the advantages of the regular AVL can be realized through the season.
Improve Safety/Situation Awareness
- Digital monitoring of snowplow spreader controllers allows for increased command and control across the board. The application can be shown in real-time or at the interval of your choice.
- Keep your snowplow drivers safe in remote areas in bad weather. If an accident happens, you can know immediately and dispatch assistance to the exact location needed. AVL delivers the real-time GPS location and status of each driver in your fleet, simultaneously.
Lower Chemical/Materials Usage
- CompassReports can tell you exactly where and how much de-icing chemicals and/or sand is used on the roads before and after snowstorms. This leads to better planning and more efficient use.
Put real-time viewing on your community website with CompassAVL
- Citizens can see where the snow plows are, when they are coming to their neighborhoods, and can even track them with color-coded breadcrumbs. This gives a sense of empowerment and lowers the risk of damage claims after the storm.
Further leverage your GIS investment
- Geographic areas that experience heavy snow and ice seasons have another way to leverage the expense already put into GIS data sets.
- The use of AVL by any organization can decrease the risk of litigation for frivolous claims. Use Replay to prove or disprove certain actions by drivers and review incidents.
CompassCom AVL client Castle Rock, CO, is in the news for their smart AVL program for snow removal:
Denver Post web outlet YourHub profiled the snowplow program of Castle Rock, Colo., on December 6, 2011. Check out the story!
And then, visit the public portal Castle Rock provides its citizens (using CompassAVL) so they can see where snowplows are in their community.